30 Dec 2010

Traditional Japanese crane

Traditional Japanese crane probably was the first thing I folded being adult. I just found instruction on a pack of colored paper. I really enjoyed folding them after time it become some kind of obsession. I was folding every time I got the piece of paper in my hands. Once I folded two of them from really small bus ticked – I was interesting too see how small it can be. Folding instructions you can find here and a video here.

An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury. The crane in Japan is one of the mystical or holy creatures (others include the dragon and the tortoise), and is said to live for a thousand years. In Japan, it is commonly said that folding 1000 paper origami cranes makes a person's wish come true. This makes them popular gifts for special friends and family.
Sometimes, working with kids from different countries, I call it luck bird. And together we fold hundreds of them and hang them somewhere for luck. That’s what I did in my apartment – I have my birds for luck flying just above my bed. Also you can write your wish on the paper, fold it and hang it on a Christmas tree or make a special crane tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment